King & Wood Mallesons
- The combination of King & Wood Mallesons and SJ Berwin in November 2013 cemented our position as the first and only international law firm headquartered in Asia. We are also a global top 25 law firm by revenue.
- Our ability to connect Asia to the world and the world to Asia, is our key differentiator. Through local connections and deep understanding of the region’s culture we are focussed on opening up the world’s fastest growth region for clients.
- Key statistics:
- Global top 25 firm by revenue and a global top 10 firm by lawyer numbers;
- US $1.037 billion global revenue;
- 31 offices globally;
- 540+ partners and more than 2100 lawyers to create one of the (largest international legal networks in the Asia region);
- More than 80 global awards in 2014
- #14 global legal brand and #1 global brand in Asia*
- Our clients are a mix of global financial and corporate powerhouses to the new industry-makers and all levels of government (some for over 200 years); and
- We are the only law firm able to practice Australian, PRC, Hong Kong and English law.
*Source: 2014 Acritas Sharp Global Elite Brand Index
The King & Wood Mallesons network extends across the following regions:
- Asia Pacific (Australia, Mainland China including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore)
- Middle East
- North America
The Insight program will give you a high level overview of how King & Wood Mallesons is structured, what areas of law we practice and the type of clients we work with.
You will also get an in-depth look at particular matters in the firm and a chance to listen to some of our staff talk about their experiences as legal professionals, including undertaking further study, working in one of our off shore offices and going on a client secondment.
The insight program is aimed at law students who are in their pre-penultimate year of their degree i.e. 3rd year or equivalent. However, if you are eligible for a clerkship this year but are unable to participate (e.g. overseas exchange), and would like to participate in Insight, please contact us.
How to apply: Via our online application system at kwm.com/careers
We offer clerkships so that you get a clear picture of what it’s like to be a lawyer at King & Wood Mallesons. You’ll get to know our people, the way we like to work, our culture, practice areas, clients and more. For many, the clerkship is the first stage of continuous development at King & Wood Mallesons.
Details of the Seasonal Clerkship Program
We’ve designed a program to help you make the most of your time with us. During your clerkship, you’ll learn:
- The day-to-day skills to get you started – taking instructions, meeting with clients, drafting memos and documents, managing your practice and professional relationships.
- The core practice teams at King & Wood Mallesons – who they are, what they do, how they’re structured, the clients they work for, and of course, your role within them.
- Our culture – working within your team, you’ll be exposed to (and encouraged) to get actively involved in the many activities and events that help create our unique culture.
- Our people – you’ll find that people from every part of the business will help you along, sharing their knowledge, and ensuring you have everything you need to fit in, and do well.
Clerks usually work in one or two different practice groups, depending on the length of the clerkship.
You’ll be allocated a supervisor in each of your practice groups and you’ll work closely with the partners, senior associates and solicitors in that team. It’s a hands-on role, so you’ll not just be watching from the sidelines. During your time in the team, you’ll be involved in telephone conversations, meetings, client visits and the deals the team is working on.
Every clerk receives feedback. Informal feedback is also provided on the job from partners, senior associates or solicitors talking you through the work you do.
Our people have the opportunity to get involved in the many social and sporting activities that go on in the firm as well as the broader community in which we live.
Our graduates participate in a targeted development program, we have a framework that cultivates valuable skills and that sets them up for success now and in the future.
What you’ll learn
The program provides a practical business foundation for junior lawyers. You’ll receive:
- Meaningful work covering a wide range of practice areas
- Client contact and an in-depth understanding of how they operate in a commercial and regulatory environment
- The opportunity to work with a range of partners, senior associates and solicitors in different practice groups
- A practical understanding of areas of our legal practice
- A comprehensive knowledge of the firm, our technology, our resources, our processes and, of course, the people you’ll work with.
As part of the Graduate Program, we also offer a Practical Legal Training (PLT) course with the College of Law to our Australian Law Graduates, ensuring that you meet the requirements for admission to legal practice.
The program also promotes and supports the mobility of our staff across our offices by giving you the opportunity to apply to go on exchange in one of our interstate or overseas offices. Through this, you are able to access a greater choice and variety of destinations and on-the-job experience.
What do we look for?
KWM distinguishes itself from other top tier law firms in the way that it grows market leaders.
- We recruit high achieving, client centric, learning agile people with an international perspective. We understand that technical excellence is only one success factor. We value a range of skills in our employees and recognise that a diversity of strengths leads to best results.
- We are looking for people who have an intellectual curiosity and are intrinsically motivated. Excellent marks are not necessarily a predictor of career success.
- Are you empathetic? Can you stand in the shoes of our client and experience the problem from their perspective?
- Is it more important to you to admire the problem or are you most interested in providing a practical, efficient and commercially sound solution?
- Are you traditional and risk averse or are you excited by a changing and fluid work environment?
- When you think about your career are you only focused on Australia, or do you appreciate that Australia’s closest neighbours are the new power houses of the global economy?
- We believe in team work and the ‘Power of Together’. We are not a collection of siloed practices, but work closely across the network to pursue client opportunities. Through a high performance culture our results are realised through collaboration, innovation and engagement.
AWARDS AND MARKET POSITION
- 2014 was another standout year for the firm in terms of awards and rankings. While we always like our clients to take centre stage, it’s nice to see the hard work of our people recognised from time to time!
- We collected more than 20, Australia specific awards in 2014 (more than 80 globally) and significantly improved our rankings in Asia-Pacific league tables with 1st and 2nd rankings across the major banking and finance and M&A advisory tables.
- All of these wins reaffirm our position as a leading international law firm in Australia and recognise our ability to deliver successful commercial outcomes for our clients.
- Our brand is resonating with clients with King & Wood Mallesons recognised as a new choice amongst the leading international law firms. In 2014, we came in at number 14 in the Acritas Sharp Legal Global Brand Index, jumping 26 places since 2010. Acritas also announced us as the leading regional brand in its recent Asia-Pacific brand index.
Ella Burgess - Graduate Resourcing Consultant
Phone: (02) 9296 3416
King & Wood Mallesons
Level 61, Governor Phillip Tower, 1 Farrer Place Sydney NSW